Starting a gratitude journal will shift your focus and lift up your life. I have listed 10 journaling topics below to get you started:
1. Begin your gratitude journal by listing everything you can think of that makes you grateful. Start with the ability to breath.
2. Each evening before you go to bed, list 5 things you are grateful for from the day.
3. What are you grateful for from your past?
4. Pick a person in your life and journal about why you are grateful for them. This can be an especially powerful exercise if you choose someone you are currently experiencing a strained relationship with.
5. What beliefs are you grateful for?
6. Journal about a problem you are experiencing in your life. Keep going until you find the gratitude in your situation.
7. List each part of your body that you are grateful for and why.
8. Describe your ideal day, make sure to emphasize the details in your day that you are especially grateful for.
9. List 5 things that you currently don’t think you have gratitude for. How would each situation need to change to help you feel grateful? Are there any aspects of these that you can feel grateful for now?
10. What aspects of your environment are you grateful for? Think about your home, city, state, landscape, country, etc…
Remember gratitude can be found everywhere and in everything.
“We give thanks for the invention of the handle. Without it there would be many things we couldn’t hold on to. As for the things we can’t hold onto anyway, let us gracefully accept their ungraspable nature and celebrate all things elusive, fleeting, and intangible. They mystify us and make us receptive to truth and beauty. We celebrate and give thanks. Amen.” -Michael Leunig, When I Talk to You: A Cartoonist Talks to God
Looking for a journal with a bright positive design?
Return from Gratitude Journal to Understanding Gratitude